Julia B. Lewis M.D.
My major area of research interest is the design and conduct of multi-center renal clinical trials where I have had leadership roles in numerous NIH sponsored clinical trials including the MDRD, AASK, HEMO, pilot Diabetic Nephropathy Trial and currently the SPRINT Trial. In these trials, in addition to being the PI at the Vanderbilt high enrolling and high performing center I have also had numerous leadership roles for the overall trial including serving on or leading the protocol design, form design, intervention, htn management, outcome classification and publication committees. I have played a key roles in the Collaborative Study Group(CSG), an independent ARO, sitting on its executive committee for twenty years in charge of protocol development and more recently as Vice President . The CSG has been responsible for key clinical trials in nephrology leading to FDA approval of captopril and irbessrtan for diabetic nephropathy. More recently I have led the clinical coordinating center, developed the protocol, forms and other key trial elements for the development of a novel phosphate binder the results if which have been submitted to the FDA.
Currently, I serve as head of several NIH and industry sponsored oversight /advisory panels for other studies and I sit on the cardio-renal FDA Advisory Board for a six year term.
In my academic role I have over 200 publications in peer approved journals and I am the director of the renal fellowship training program at Vanderbilt.
No Featured Publications
1. Relative incidence of ESRD versus cardiovascular mortality in proteinuric type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: results from the DIAMETRIC (Diabetes Mellitus Treatment for Renal Insufficiency Consortium) database.
Packham DK, Alves TP, Dwyer JP, Atkins R, de Zeeuw D, Cooper M, Shahinfar S, Lewis JB, Lambers Heerspink HJ (2012) Am J Kidney Dis 59(1): 75-83Citation ⋅ 22051245 (PubMed)
2. Pyridorin in type 2 diabetic nephropathy.
Lewis EJ, Greene T, Spitalewiz S, Blumenthal S, Berl T, Hunsicker LG, Pohl MA, Rohde RD, Raz I, Yerushalmy Y, Yagil Y, Herskovits T, Atkins RC, Reutens AT, Packham DK, Lewis JB, Collaborative Study Group (2012) J Am Soc Nephrol 23(1): 131-6Citation ⋅ 22034637 (PubMed) PMC3269925 (PubMed Central)
3. Systems involving hydrogenated and fluorinated chains: volumetric properties of perfluoroalkanes and perfluoroalkylalkane surfactants.
Morgado P, Lewis JB, Laginhas CM, Martins LF, McCabe C, Blas FJ, Filipe EJ (2011) J Phys Chem B 115(50): 15013-23Citation ⋅ 21950377 (PubMed)
4. Membranous nephropathy with crescents.
Basford AW, Lewis J, Dwyer JP, Fogo AB (2011) J Am Soc Nephrol 22(10): 1804-8Citation ⋅ 21903992 (PubMed)
5. Chronic idiopathic neutrophilia: experience and recommendations.
Weir AB, Lewis JB, Arteta-Bulos R (2011) South Med J 104(7): 499-504Citation ⋅ 21886049 (PubMed)
6. Sulodexide for kidney protection in type 2 diabetes patients with microalbuminuria: a randomized controlled trial.
Lewis EJ, Lewis JB, Greene T, Hunsicker LG, Berl T, Pohl MA, de Zeeuw D, Heerspink HL, Rohde RD, Atkins RC, Reutens AT, Packham DK, Raz I, Collaborative Study Group (2011) Am J Kidney Dis 58(5): 729-36Citation ⋅ 21872376 (PubMed)
7. A framework for evaluating the appropriateness of clinical decision support alerts and responses.
McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Lewis JB, Wright JA, Choma DP, Miller RA, Peterson JF (2012) J Am Med Inform Assoc 19(3): 346-52Citation ⋅ 21849334 (PubMed) PMC3341775 (PubMed Central)
8. Impact of aliskiren treatment on urinary aldosterone levels in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy: an AVOID substudy.
Persson F, Lewis JB, Lewis EJ, Rossing P, Hollenberg NK, Hans-Henrik P (2012) J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 13(1): 118-21Citation ⋅ 21824990 (PubMed)
9. Olmesartan to prevent the development of microalbuminuria: is it new? Is it true? Is it important?
Dwyer JP, Lewis JB (2011) Am J Kidney Dis 58(5): 700-3Citation ⋅ 21802806 (PubMed)
10. Viscosity of liquid perfluoroalkanes and perfluoroalkylalkane surfactants.
Morgado P, Laginhas CM, Lewis JB, McCabe C, Martins LF, Filipe EJ (2011) J Phys Chem B 115(29): 9130-9Citation ⋅ 21634410 (PubMed)
11. Tribological durability of silane monolayers on silicon.
Booth BD, Vilt SG, Lewis JB, Rivera JL, Buehler EA, McCabe C, Jennings GK (2011) Langmuir 27(10): 5909-17Citation ⋅ 21513320 (PubMed)
12. Albuminuria and blood pressure, independent targets for cardioprotective therapy in patients with diabetes and nephropathy: a post hoc analysis of the combined RENAAL and IDNT trials.
Holtkamp FA, de Zeeuw D, de Graeff PA, Laverman GD, Berl T, Remuzzi G, Packham D, Lewis JB, Parving HH, Lambers Heerspink HJ (2011) Eur Heart J 32(12): 1493-9Citation ⋅ 21421598 (PubMed)
13. Effects of telmisartan, irbesartan, valsartan, candesartan, and losartan on cancers in 15 trials enrolling 138,769 individuals.
ARB Trialists Collaboration (2011) J Hypertens 29(4): 623-35Citation ⋅ 21358417 (PubMed)
14. Aliskiren in combination with losartan reduces albuminuria independent of baseline blood pressure in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.
Persson F, Lewis JB, Lewis EJ, Rossing P, Hollenberg NK, Parving HH (2011) Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6(5): 1025-31Citation ⋅ 21350110 (PubMed) PMC3087767 (PubMed Central)
15. Dysregulation of monocytic cytokine secretion by endodontic sealers.
Brackett MG, Lewis JB, Messer RL, Lei L, Lockwood PE, Wataha JC (2011) J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 97(1): 49-57Citation ⋅ 21290574 (PubMed)
16. Adolescent pregnancy desire and pregnancy incidence.
Sipsma HL, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS (2011) Womens Health Issues 21(2): 110-6Citation ⋅ 21177123 (PubMed) PMC3052996 (PubMed Central)
17. The skinny on sexual risk: the effects of BMI on STI incidence and risk.
Kershaw TS, Arnold A, Lewis JB, Magriples U, Ickovics JR (2011) AIDS Behav 15(7): 1527-38Citation ⋅ 20976536 (PubMed) PMC3158959 (PubMed Central)
18. Cytotoxic response of three cell lines exposed in vitro to dental endodontic sealers.
Brackett MG, Messer RL, Lockwood PE, Bryan TE, Lewis JB, Bouillaguet S, Wataha JC (2010) J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 95(2): 380-6Citation ⋅ 20862766 (PubMed)
19. Intensive blood-pressure control in hypertensive chronic kidney disease.
Appel LJ, Wright JT, Greene T, Agodoa LY, Astor BC, Bakris GL, Cleveland WH, Charleston J, Contreras G, Faulkner ML, Gabbai FB, Gassman JJ, Hebert LA, Jamerson KA, Kopple JD, Kusek JW, Lash JP, Lea JP, Lewis JB, Lipkowitz MS, Massry SG, Miller ER, Norris K, Phillips RA, Pogue VA, Randall OS, Rostand SG, Smogorzewski MJ, Toto RD, Wang X, AASK Collaborative Research Group (2010) N Engl J Med 363(10): 918-29Citation ⋅ 20818902 (PubMed) PMC3662974 (PubMed Central)
20. Relationship between body mass index and proteinuria in hypertensive nephrosclerosis: results from the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) cohort.
Toto RD, Greene T, Hebert LA, Hiremath L, Lea JP, Lewis JB, Pogue V, Sika M, Wang X, AASK Collaborative Research Group (2010) Am J Kidney Dis 56(5): 896-906Citation ⋅ 20801567 (PubMed) PMC4517588 (PubMed Central)
21. The assessment, serial evaluation, and subsequent sequelae of acute kidney injury (ASSESS-AKI) study: design and methods.
Go AS, Parikh CR, Ikizler TA, Coca S, Siew ED, Chinchilli VM, Hsu CY, Garg AX, Zappitelli M, Liu KD, Reeves WB, Ghahramani N, Devarajan P, Faulkner GB, Tan TC, Kimmel PL, Eggers P, Stokes JB, Assessment Serial Evaluation, and Subsequent Sequelae of Acute Kidney Injury Study Investigators (2010) BMC Nephrol 11(): 22Citation ⋅ 20799966 (PubMed) PMC2944247 (PubMed Central)
22. A computerized provider order entry intervention for medication safety during acute kidney injury: a quality improvement report.
McCoy AB, Waitman LR, Gadd CS, Danciu I, Smith JP, Lewis JB, Schildcrout JS, Peterson JF (2010) Am J Kidney Dis 56(5): 832-41Citation ⋅ 20709437 (PubMed) PMC2963668 (PubMed Central)
23. Impact of baseline renal function on the efficacy and safety of aliskiren added to losartan in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.
Persson F, Lewis JB, Lewis EJ, Rossing P, Hollenberg NK, Parving HH, AVOID Study Investigators (2010) Diabetes Care 33(11): 2304-9Citation ⋅ 20693353 (PubMed) PMC2963484 (PubMed Central)
24. Blood pressure control in chronic kidney disease: is less really more?
Lewis JB (2010) J Am Soc Nephrol 21(7): 1086-92Citation ⋅ 20576804 (PubMed)
25. Commonly used surrogates for baseline renal function affect the classification and prognosis of acute kidney injury.
Siew ED, Matheny ME, Ikizler TA, Lewis JB, Miller RA, Waitman LR, Go AS, Parikh CR, Peterson JF (2010) Kidney Int 77(6): 536-42Citation ⋅ 20042998 (PubMed) PMC2929703 (PubMed Central)
26. CRP polymorphisms and progression of chronic kidney disease in African Americans.
Hung AM, Crawford DC, Griffin MR, Brown-Gentry K, Lipkowitz MS, Siew ED, Cavanaugh K, Lewis JB, Ikizler TA, AASK Study Group (2010) Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5(1): 24-33Citation ⋅ 19965533 (PubMed) PMC2801650 (PubMed Central)
27. Evaluation of renal artery stenosis in dialysis patients.
Dwyer JP, Greco BA, Lewis JB (2009) Semin Dial 22(5): 519-23Citation ⋅ 19558627 (PubMed)
28. Association of gadolinium based magnetic resonance imaging contrast agents and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
Bhave G, Lewis JB, Chang SS (2008) J Urol 180(3): 830-5; discussion 835Citation ⋅ 18635232 (PubMed) PMC4128001 (PubMed Central)
29. Microalbuminuria as a target to improve cardiovascular and renal outcomes in diabetic patients.
Basi S, Lewis JB (2007) Curr Diab Rep 7(6): 439-42Citation ⋅ 18255007 (PubMed)
30. Microalbuminuria as a target to improve cardiovascular and renal outcomes.
Basi S, Lewis JB (2006) Am J Kidney Dis 47(6): 927-46Citation ⋅ 16731288 (PubMed)
31. WAGR syndrome: a clinical review of 54 cases.
Fischbach BV, Trout KL, Lewis J, Luis CA, Sika M (2005) Pediatrics 116(4): 984-8Citation ⋅ 16199712 (PubMed)
32. Analysis of low-abundance, low-molecular-weight serum proteins using mass spectrometry.
Merrell K, Southwick K, Graves SW, Esplin MS, Lewis NE, Thulin CD (2004) J Biomol Tech 15(4): 238-48Citation ⋅ 15585820 (PubMed) PMC2291707 (PubMed Central)
33. A comparison of iothalamate-GFR and serum creatinine-based outcomes: acceleration in the rate of GFR decline in the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension.
Lewis J, Greene T, Appel L, Contreras G, Douglas J, Lash J, Toto R, Van Lente F, Wang X, Wright JT, AASK Study Group (2004) J Am Soc Nephrol 15(12): 3175-83Citation ⋅ 15579521 (PubMed)
34. Hypertension management: special considerations in chronic kidney disease patients.
Smith JP, Lewis JB (2004) Curr Hypertens Rep 6(6): 462-8Citation ⋅ 15527692 (PubMed)
35. Use of calcium antagonists in renal patients: therapeutic benefit or medical malpractice?
Nigbor DA, Lewis JB (2003) Curr Hypertens Rep 5(5): 430-6Citation ⋅ 12948437 (PubMed)
36. Comparison of cross-sectional renal function measurements in African Americans with hypertensive nephrosclerosis and of primary formulas to estimate glomerular filtration rate.
Lewis J, Agodoa L, Cheek D, Greene T, Middleton J, O'Connor D, Ojo A, Phillips R, Sika M, Wright J, African-American Study of Hypertension and Kidney Disease (2001) Am J Kidney Dis 38(4): 744-53Citation ⋅ 11576877 (PubMed)
37. In memory of a legendary athlete: measured success in diabetic nephropathy.
Lewis J, Lewis EJ (2001) Semin Nephrol 21(2): 124-32Citation ⋅ 11245775 (PubMed)
38. Atrial natriuretic factor in oliguric acute renal failure. Anaritide Acute Renal Failure Study Group.
Lewis J, Salem MM, Chertow GM, Weisberg LS, McGrew F, Marbury TC, Allgren RL (2000) Am J Kidney Dis 36(4): 767-74Citation ⋅ 11007679 (PubMed)
39. Diabetic nephropathy in patients with type II diabetes.
Lewis JB (1999) Geriatr Nephrol Urol 9(3): 167-75Citation ⋅ 10701139 (PubMed)
40. Effect of intensive blood pressure control on the course of type 1 diabetic nephropathy. Collaborative Study Group.
Lewis JB, Berl T, Bain RP, Rohde RD, Lewis EJ (1999) Am J Kidney Dis 34(5): 809-17Citation ⋅ 10561135 (PubMed)
41. A 19-year-old man with hypertension, proteinuria, and renal insufficiency.
Broumand V, Paueksakon P, Lewis JB, Nadeau J, Fogo A (1999) Am J Kidney Dis 34(4): 768-74Citation ⋅ 10516364 (PubMed)
42. Microalbuminuria: accuracy or economics.
Lewis JB (1998) Am J Kidney Dis 32(3): 524-8Citation ⋅ 9740175 (PubMed)